In this episode, Jimmy chats with Edison Au, PT, SCS, OCS, CSCS, RCAMPT, Dip. Sport Physio. about his impressive career in sports PT.
Edison Au is a board certified clinical specialist in orthopedic and sports physical therapy, with a Canadian Diploma in Sports Physiotherapy. He has almost 20 years experience working with athletes, including working in high-level international competitions around the world such as the 2008 Beijing Paralympics, the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics, and the final World Olympic Qualifier for wrestling in Istanbul, Turkey. Ed was also a consultant for the Washington Nationals baseball team, and completed the final phase of interviewing for a PT position with the New York Jets. Additionally, he has been the New Jersey State Representative for the sports PT section for the last 8 years.
- The road to becoming a sports PT – choosing the human component at the University of Toronto (2:57)
- For the love of sports PT: striving to be the best you can be and helping make dreams come true (6:58)
- It’s all about the patient; every second and every session counts #excitementfactor (10:55)
- How to get involved in big opportunities by starting local, getting clout, and developing contacts (12:45)
- Shout out to former show guest Erik Meira, PT, DPT, SCS, CSCS
- Interviewing with the NY Jets: playing the name game to break into small circles #namedrop (15:02)
- Shout out to 2 fellow Marymount alumni Patrick Kennelly, PT, MS, and Brian Hodge, PT, MS
- #BrewandQ from #DPTstudent Aimee Depelteau (@depelteauDPT): What’s your advice for new grad PTs wanting to pursue a career in sports PT? (21:49)
- How to apply to work for Olympic athletes (23:54)
- #BrewandQ from #DPTstudent @MTMDPT2018: What kind of soft tissue mobilization and/or manual therapy do you use?
- Rooting for good competition and the #Olympicspirit (31:13)
- #PartingShots: stay focused and follow the 3 A’s – available, affable, able #threeAs #AvailableAffableAble
Interested in the differences between Canadian and US sports physiotherapy? Ed compares/contrasts in this article: US-Canada Sport PT_Jan. 27’07.
This episode was sponsored by PTFinalExam.com